Clashes broke out between Indian and Chinese forces in the Galway Valley on the border with Ladakh. At least 20 Indian soldiers were killed, the BBC reported.
The incident took place on Monday night.
Earlier, the country’s media NDTV confirmed that three Indian soldiers had been killed in the clashes. One colonel and two Indian soldiers were killed in the clashes, it was reported yesterday morning.
Later last night, the Indian news agency ANI reported that at least 20 Indian soldiers were killed in the border clash. According to official figures, the number is expected to rise further.
Citing the Indian Army, ANI said 18 more people were seriously injured in the clashes. They later died under the open sky due to hostile weather at temperatures below freezing. It is claimed that both sides have retreated from the scene of the clash since Tuesday evening.
The ANI also said that Chinese forces had also suffered heavy casualties in the clashes. The Indian military estimates that at least 43 Chinese troops may have been killed. However, no statement has been issued by China so far.
China’s state-run news agency, the Global Times, reported that Chinese troops had also suffered casualties in the clashes. However, they could not say whether the Chinese army had suffered casualties as claimed by India.
Clashes broke out between Indian and Chinese forces
International media reports say that decades later, there have been bloody clashes between the two nuclear-armed neighbors. It was the first bloody clash on the Sino-Indian border since 1972 and 1975.
A statement from the Indian Ministry of External Affairs said senior military officials from both sides had met to try to defuse tensions.